Tuesday, January 25, 2011

On Helping an Injured Pigeon

Last Thursday night, I was walking home from the subway. As I was passing Gristedes, I saw a pigeon standing motionless, huddling in a corner. I stopped and searched for some veterinarian offices and animal hospitals in the area. I must have spent about thirty minutes standing outside calling different places. I figures that I could find a place that would accept pigeons and I could take it straight away before going home.

I called about ten places and none of them were willing to take the pigeon. One place was willing to take the pigeon and euthanize it. I figured I could take it there, have them look at it, and see whether it would be worth saving the pigeon. I went in search of a small box to transport the bird. I found one in a Duane Reade across the street.

I grabbed the pigeon and took him home since by then, that one hospital was closed. At home, I searched for a while to see where I could take it. I found the Wild Bird Fund, operating out of Animal General on 87th and Columbus. The next morning, I still called a handful of other places since I didn't want to have to go all the way to the UWS.

No luck, but I was able to get an appointment for Saturday afternoon. At the hospital, we were told that the pigeon was in bad shape. Part of its tail was gone and it was also very skinny. They said it was likely sick and so was too weak to escape the human/dog/car/injuring object. They also said that he was very cold and that sick birds do not keep their body temperature up. They took him in and were going to put him in an incubator to warm him up, give him some fluids to get him going, and feed him. If he was able to get better, they were going to see what the underlying problem is.

I haven't gotten any updates, but I will contact them soon to see how he fared.

I'm glad I found the Wild Bird Fund so that I know where to take an injured bird.
I'm planning on making a donation soon... it will count as part of my New Year's resolutions!


Here is the little dinosaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment